SEDENTARY lifestyle can lead to many health problems and illnesses. Now that the entire Metro Manila is locked down and everyone is in their respective homes (including those working at home), getting less movement would dwindle metabolism.
As you age, your metabolism falls about one percent a year. That translates to cutting back on calories – meaning, you need about a measly 10 fewer calories a day to maintain your weight. So to keep your metabolism revving, fuel it with energy and nutritious foods, dietary supplements and an active lifestyle. Keep temptations in check.
* Eat mostly vegetables with lean protein. Half your plate should be brightly colored vegetables like spinach, kale, red peppers, and broccoli because those with deep colors contain the most nutrition. The other half should be good quality, low fat protein sources, such as eggs, tofu, fish and chicken, which will give you a feeling of fullness for a longer period of time and, thus, better hold those cravings at bay.
* Keep blood sugar stable. Losing weight is very difficult when the blood sugar levels are elevated, which impairs carbohydrate metabolism and increases sugar cravings - all these will work against you.
Avoid simple sugars along with artificial sweeteners, which have been shown to cause increased sugar rebound cravings.
Eat foods with natural fat burning properties, such as cayenne, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, green tea, hot peppers, citrus fruits, and apple cider vinegar.
* Optimize your digestion. Break down your food properly and more efficiently so your cells may best utilize the nutrients. Eat in a relaxed setting and breathe while you eat.
* Drink green tea. By steeping one green tea bag in 6-8 oz in hot water, you are doing yourself a good favor. Studies show that the catechins, a type of polyphenol, found in green tea assists in burning fat.
* Exercise is a must. This builds muscles, which burn calories even when you’re sitting around. For every pound of muscle you gain, you can burn about 50 extra calories per day. You can gain a pound of muscle in a month if you work out with weights two to three times a week. Try to be creative and do some indoor exercise.