THE weather is getting cold and for people with weak immune system, they could easily catch colds and flu.
If you visit your doctor, he would certainly ask if you’ve had your flu vaccine. Getting a vaccine shot may hurt your budget (especially if you have doubts about the effectiveness of the vaccine). If you do not want to get shot, there are many ways to naturally boost your immune system that can be used to help you avoid the flu and get you feeling better more quickly.
Essential oils are one of the best ways to do this at home and they are safe and easy to use. They are basically the concentrated extracts from trees, herbs and grasses. Many boast anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Lavender, eucalyptus, lemon, rosemary, tea tree and thyme are all immune stimulants. You can also use garlic, sandalwood, cinnamon, German Chamomile and peppermint.
Here are options how to maximize their benefits. You can:
* Put in your essential oil diffuser to purify the air.
* Dilute in a carrier oil, like almond or jojoba oil, and rub it into the soles of your feet.
* Add it to your personal care products.
* Mix with Epsom salts and take a healing bath.
Always remember to test on a small patch of skin first to make sure you don’t have a reaction, especially if you have sensitive skin.
If you do still find yourself sick with the flu, there are many oils that can provide relief from your symptoms and get you feeling better faster:
* Lavender and chamomile help relieve sinus pressure and soothe headaches and other body aches caused by the flu. You can add them to your diffuser or even put a few drops into a pot of boiling water so that you can inhale the steam.
* You can also use drops of eucalyptus, cypress or peppermint under your pillow at night to reduce the cough so you can get the rest you need to heal.
* Inhaling eucalyptus, rosemary or lemon oils is great for helping that stuffy nose. Use them in your diffuser or put a few drops on a warm washcloth and hold it up to your nose to inhale the soothing vapors. If you nose is sore or red, be careful not to let the cloth touch your skin, especially if your skin is sensitive.
* Cinnamon leaf oil is useful for increasing blood flow, warmth and healing. Drop it to your bath, put it in your diffuser, or add a few drops to a carrier oil and rub it into the bottoms of your feet.
* Sandalwood can help you overcome the stress and fatigue flu causes for your body. A warm bath with a few drops of sandalwood will do wonders to help you recover.
Always keep this guide with you so you would help yourself familiarize with essential oils’ functions and benefits to ward off diseases and feel better fast.