27 more CIW inmates test positive for COVID-19

April 26, 2020

THE Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) bared over the weekend that 27 more inmates at the Correctional Institution for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing to at least 47 the total number of persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) to have contracted the deadly disease.

The 27 inmates were transported to Site Harry at the National Bilibid Prison medium security compound in Muntinlupa.

"The said PDLs were received properly by the medical staff of the quarantine facility and were checked by the medical doctor on duty. The PDLs are well and are asymptomatic," BuCor said in a statement.

"Continuous focused medical care and monitoring will be provided to ensure that no PDL will develop severe symptoms," it added.

BuCor, an attached agency of the Department of Justice, previously disclosed that 20 correctional inmates tested positive for COVID-19.

The result of the COVID-19 test that was conducted by the Philippine Red Cross also revealed that one BuCor personnel tested positive for COVID-19 .

Earlier, Muntinlupa Mayor Jaime Fresnedi expressed his disappointment over the transfer of the inmates, saying BuCor did not inform the local government when it transferred the prisoners to Muntinlupa on April 21.

“Coordination for the transfer of PDLs who are confirmed COVID-19 cases was not facilitated by BuCor to the local government. We were surprised to know about it from sources outside BuCor. We are all trying to contain the spread of COVID-19 in Muntinlupa and the transfer should not be done as it poses threat to the health of Muntinlupa residents,” he said in a statement.

Fresnedi added that the local government has no information as to how the PDLs were transferred and if BuCor has followed protocols on safe patient transport for COVID-19 as provided by the Department of Health.