FOUR policemen who tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered from the deadly virus, the latest of them two policemen living in Metro Manila, Philippine National Police spokesman, Brigadier General Bernard M. Banac said yesterday.
The 3rd and 4th policemen who were infected by the virus but have already recovered and were discharged from the hospital were PNP Patient No. 2, a 31-year old cop from Manila and PNP Patient No. 9, a 55-year old policeman from Quezon City, the PNP spokesperson said.
As of yesterday, the PNP Health Service headed by Brig. Gen. Herminio S. Tadeo Jr. have recorded two new cases bringing the total of COVID-19- positive PNP personnel to 27.
Banac said that PNP Patient No. 26 is a 52-year-old policeman assigned in Metro Manila who is now undergoing self-quarantine and treatment.
He added that a 34-year-old policewoman tagged as PNP Patient No. 27 by the PNP Health Service had earlier succumbed to illness and was confirmed to have been infected by the virus following tests conducted by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine.
The PNP-HS has recorded a total of 52 PNP personnel who are categorized as Probable Persons Under Investigation (Probable PUIs) including 12 Police Commissioned Officers and 40 Police Non-Commissioned Officers.
Another 257 personnel were recommended as Suspected Persons Under Investigation (Suspected PUIs). They include 59 PCOs, 177 PNCOs and 21 Non-Uniformed Personnel.
A total of 1,339 PNP personnel are listed as Possible Case of Persons Under Monitoring (PUM). They are composed of 313 PCOs, 972 PNCOs and 54 NUPs.
Likewise, 1,789 personnel which includes 1,493 Possible PUMs, 246 Probable PUIs and 50 Suspected PUIs have completed self/home quarantine and have been tested negative of the virus, said Banac.
PNP chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa said that final preparations are underway for the deployment of the PNP medical corps and health care personnel to the government quarantine facility at the Philippine International Convention Center.
A walk-thru inspection was conducted on Black Saturday by PNP-HS officials at the facility located at the PICC Forum Tent. The facility was designed to cater to 294 patients with mild to moderate COVID-19 cases.
The PNP-HS will be in-charge of medical operations in the quarantine facility.
“The PNP, with our corps of medical and healthcare personnel, is honored to take on this crucial responsibility in our national efforts to stand our ground against COVID-19 and heal the land of this contagion. This health facility at PICC will provide supportive care to anyone who will be admitted under close supervision of the PNP Health Service and DOH,” said Gen. Gamboa.