Alien needs TIN for work visa

TO ensure that the government collects the necessary taxes from foreign workers in the country, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) will now be requiring prospective foreign workers to secure a Tax Identification Number (TIN) from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) before applying for a work visa.

BI spokesperson Dana Sandoval said as part of the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Employment of Foreign Nationals, tbe bureau has been in constant talks with the BIR, the Department of Justice, the Department of Labor and Employment, and other government agencies to harmonize rules on foreign workers.

In a recently-released Operations Order, the BI required applicants for work visa a copy of their TIN card or any proof of TIN to ensure that the BIR will be able to collect taxes from them.

The BI said the move was a “simple solution that would make a huge impact in tax collection,” and that the action was a “result of government agencies working together”.

According to BI’s new rules on SWP, only 14 activities may be issued the said work permit. These activities include highly technical activities and the workers concerned may stay in the country for a maximum period of six months only.