Balete tree knocked down by fire saves young girl

February 13, 2019

A FOUR-year-old girl who was left alone in the house miraculously survived a fire Tuesday night in Quezon City.

QC Fire District Marshal Senior Supt. James Ramirez said the girl identified as Precious Tabuena was found under a fallen balete tree where she took refuge as the fire destroyed the four-door house owned by her grandparents Carlos and Lita Rose Muñoz.

The fire struck at house No. 51 on 14th Avenue in Bgy. Socorro and was believed to be caused by an unattended lighted candle.

The terrified Muñoz couple rushed back to their house to look for their granddaughter and told firefighters that they left Precious in the house and she could no longer be found.

Ramirez said his men were already clearing the area when they stumbled on the little girl under the fallen balete tree beside the burnt house. The tree apparently collapsed at the height of the fire. The girl only sustained minor injury.