BuCor exec’s slay seen linked to GCTA fiasco

February 20, 2020

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said that the murder of Bureau of Corrections Legal Service head Frederic Anthony Santos last Wednesday may be linked to the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) fiasco.

“It’s (Santos killing) still under investigation, but very likely that it might have something to do with the GCTA issue,” Guevarra said.

The Department of Justice directed the National Bureau of Investigation to investigate Santos’ death.

In Department Order 082, the NBI under Director Dante Gierran was given 30 days to submit a progress report.

“The NBI through Director Dante Gierran is hereby directed and granted authority to conduct an investigation and case build-up... and if evidence warrants, to file the appropriate charges against persons found responsible,” the order, which Guevarra signed, read in part.

Santos was shot and killed in Muntinlupa City last Wednesday afternoon.

He was declared dead by the Muntinlupa Rescue Team after sustaining gunshot wounds in his head.

Santos testified before the Senate last year which heard the anomalies surrounding the hugely-controversial good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III once told CNN Philippines that Santos was ready to blow the whistle on the GCTA irregularities but decided to back out at the last minute.

While his office was not directly involved in the screening of GCTA applications, senators still grilled him during a hearing for providing legal opinion on whether or not the BuCor chief needs the Department of Justice’s approval to release inmates sentenced to life imprisonment.

The Office of the Ombudsman suspended Santos along with 29 other BuCor officials last September for six months after they allegedly allowed the questionable release of prison convicts under the GCTA law.

The issue on GCTA started after former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez was supposed to be released from prison last year.