COVID-19;cases in DOJ now 72

June 14, 2020

THE number of COVID-19 infections at the Department of Justice in Manila continue to climb as Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday disclosed that the number of cases rose to 72.

According to Guevarra, 13 more fresh cases have been recorded after two days of rapid virus testing. Last week, 59 personnel tested positive for the dreaded disease.

"(Sixty eight) 68 out of 536 DOJ employees in Manila tested positive for coronavirus after 2 days of rapid testing. Total of 72 if outsourced personnel (security, maintenance) included. Many of them underwent swab tests and are waiting for results, " Guevarra said in a message.

"I have instructed all those who have tested positive to stop reporting for work and undergo swab tests immediately. The rest may work from home. The premises will be disinfected again," Guevarra recently said.

Earlier, Guevarra was reported to have been seriously considering suspending work in the DOJ main office in Manila following a spike in COVID-19 cases.

To ensure the health of other employees, Guevarra said that he just ordered the disinfection of the DOJ premises along Padre Faura in Manila's Malate district.

“We've disinfected the premises over the weekend, and we'll do it all over again. We'll also decide if we need to suspend all work on site in the meantime, ” Guevarra said.

In a separate interview, Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete disclosed that the DOJ has started conducting random COVID-19 testing on its officials and employees.

Perete said the DOJ has a total of 750 employees in Padre Faura, Manila.