CRIMINAL cases involving motorcycle-riding suspects (MRS) in Metro Manila went down by almost 54 percent last year or only 400 incidents compared to the 853 recorded in 2017, National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar said yesterday.
The official said that from January 1 to December 31, 2017, they recorded the following cases involving so-called ‘Riding-in-Tandem’ criminals in the metropolis: 338 murder cases; 24 homicide cases; 128 physical injuries; one rape; 224 robbery cases; 43 theft incidents; 12 motor vehicle theft, and 83 motorcycle theft.
Eleazar attributed the marked deduction in MRS activities in Metro Manila to their stepped-up anti-criminality campaign particularly in hunting down known MRS, the 24-hour visibility and foot and mobile patrols to deter would-be criminals and the conduct of checkpoints to arrest the presence of armed men in motorbikes.
Task Force created to probe into millionaire’s death
Eleazar released the figures on MRS as Eastern Police District director Chief Superintendent Bernabe M. Balba created a Special Investigation Task Group to spearhead the probe into the killing of 62-year-old millionaire businessman Jose Luis Yulo and van owner-driver Nomer Santos, 51.
As of press time, investigators are looking into the possibility that the EDSA shooting incident last Sunday was business-related. Mandaluyong City police chief Senior Supt. Moises Villaceran said they are talking with Yulo’s family as part of their investigation.
An initial investigation showed that the killers who were on board a black motorcycle fired shots at the passenger side of a white Toyota Hi-Ace van on the south-bound lane of EDSA in Mandaluyong.
Yulo, Santos, and a fellow passenger identified as Esmeralda Ignacio, 38, were hit in the volley of gunfire. Both Yulo and Santos died while Ignacio is still undergoing medical treatment.
Eleazar urged the public to feed them any information that would lead to the early solution of the case.