Enforce ban on silver cleaners — EcoWaste

THE environment-advocacy group EcoWaste Coalition yesterday reiterated its call for continuing law enforcement action against those importing, manufacturing, distributing and selling cyanide-laced silver jewelry cleaning products.

The group through its chemical safety campaigner Thony Dizon made the call after a seven-year-old boy from Makati City has become the latest victim in a string of tragic deaths linked to the ingestion of cyanide-containing silver jewelry cleaner.

“We urge the authorities to conduct sustained law enforcement operations to rid the marketplace of silver jewelry cleaners containing cyanide and other toxic substances,” stated Dizon.

Dizon stressed that any lapse in law enforcement will mean more consumers having access to this poison that had already fatally harmed many people, including children.

According to Dizon, the victim, Rain Mendoza of Barangay Rizal, on Wednesday morning accidentally drank a silver cleaning solution placed in a soft drink bottle. His parents Jennifer and Sherwin believed the boy had mistaken it for a soda and drank it.

Reports showed that Mendoza’s younger brother Prince saw the victim lying unconscious on the toilet floor as if having a convulsion.

Concerned neighbors then rushed him to the Ospital ng Makati in nearby Barangay Pembo where he was given medical attention at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Early Thursday morning, Mendoza was declared dead by attending physician Dr. Geraldine Alcantara from cyanide poisoning.

Dizon, who went to the residence of the Mendozas on Friday morning to commiserate with the grieving family, has been campaigning against the deadly silver jewelry cleaner since 2009.

The group likewise reiterated its advice to the public not to buy and use unregistered silver jewelry cleaning products with cyanide and other toxic chemical ingredients.

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), cyanide “is classified as poisonous which can be rapidly absorbed by the body through inhalation, ingestion and dermal absorption.”  

“It blocks utilization of oxygen in all organs and liable to cause serious injury to human health that may lead to acute poisoning or death,” the FDA said.

Responding to the rising number of cyanide poisoning cases due to the accidental as well as deliberate intake of silver jewelry cleaning products, the government issued in 2010 through the Department of Health and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources a ban on the sale of silver jewelry cleaners containing cyanide and other toxic substances.