EXASPERATED over the stubbornness of some residents to the detriment of the dreaded COVID-19 spreading in communities, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno sounded the alarm and bared that most of the cases in Manila as recorded by the Department of Health are from Sampaloc and Tondo, adding that San Andres, Pandacan, Sta. Cruz and Baseco are also problem areas when it comes to full compliance to social distancing, curfew and the enhanced community quarantine.
In his public address Thursday night, Moreno said that as of March 26, the number of COVID-19 patients in the city has reached 36, with four being the latest addition. Of the number, he said 11 are from Sampaloc where, based on information reaching him, people continue to loiter around with some even drinking on the streets beyond curfew hours.
Moreno added that the city also has a total of 144 persons under investigation or PUIs. Of this number, 30 percent are from the first and second districts of Tondo.
‘Baka me napapanood kayo sa YouTube na okay lang, napapabalita naman kung sino-sino na ang dinadapuan.. lahat tayo pwede magkaroon ng ganitong masamang karamdaman. Bakit? Walang gamot eh. Hindi ako magsasawang manawagan.. pumirmi kayo sa bahay ninyo,’ Moreno said.
He added: ‘Tinatawag ko ang pansin ng mga taga-Sampaloc, Maynila. Kailangan ninyong tupdin ang social distancing at quarantine na panawagan ng national government. Sa 36 na kaso ng may COVID-19 sa Maynila na kasama sa national list, 11 ang taga-Sampaloc. Ang nagsasabi nang tapat, nagsasama nang maluwat’.
‘Napakarami sa Sampaloc, mga nakikita naming nag-iinuman, patambay-tambay pa. Ang PUI ay may sintomas at naghihintay ng resulta ng kanilang testing kung positive o hindi. Sa ngayon, 144 ang ating PUI o me sintomas ng COVID at naghihintay ng resulta ng kanilang testing kung posiive o hindi. Halos 30 porsyento nito ay taga- District 1 at 2 ng Tondo. Tambay pa kayo sa R-10, basketball, inuman, upo sa bangko, party-party at ‘yan ang mapapala natin,’ the mayor said, adding that Manila now has the biggest number of PUIs in the metro.
‘Sa aming maliit na paraan, ipinaaalala ko na me layunin ang national government. Ang virus, hindi naglalakad ang tao ang naglalakad. Kaya paalala ko sa inyo, ang laki ng inilobo ng nagkakasakit nito sa Maynila. Ýung mga komentaryong tsamba-tsamba lang, kung papatsamba ka, ‘wag ka uuwi ng bahay ‘wag ka mandamay. Kailangan nating sundin ang kautusan at makiisa sa national government,’Moreno said.
Meanwhile, Moreno reported that a total of 76,632 families have been given food packs and appealed for understanding if the packaging changed from box to bags, saying he wants the repacking to become faster to reach more residents.
Much as he wanted the food packs to be presentable, Moreno said he decided to repack in such a way that it could reach the homes faster which is more important than the presentation, citing how the packaging had been changed when the distribution was made in Sta. Mesa.
Moreno said that with the help of Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna and social welfare department chief Re Fugoso, they were able to reach out to 31,889 families the whole day of Thursday.
‘As long as dumating supply, di mag-iinit puwet, iaabot agad namin sa inyo. Sa Sta. Mesa , naka-plastic bag pasensiya na,’ Moreno said.
The mayor also expressed his condolences to the families of doctors, nurses, other health personnel and law enforcers who had passed due to COVID-19.