MAYOR Isko Moreno cut short his official trip abroad to attend to the coronavirus situation in Manila following a spike in the number of cases in the country and upon arrival, he immediately convened an emergency meeting and then submitted himself to a 48-hour quarantine after being checked by personnel from the Department of Health (DoH).
Having spent the night in his office at the Manila City Hall as part of his self-quarantine, Moreno was quick to clarify though, he did not have any personal encounter with UK’s health minister Nadine Dorries, who was reported to have tested positive for coronavirus.
Moreno had just come from an official trip in London, capital of the United Kingdom and while there, Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna said they have been in continuous contact with each other to give the mayor updates.
Together, Moreno and Lacuna led an emergency meeting of city officials to address the issue on coronavirus and then proceeded to check the 135 new equipment that are being used for misting operations by the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) under Arnel Angeles who said that disinfection had been going on for days now.
Lacuna assured that continuous disinfecting are being done on areas where there are many people that converge such as public markets, City Hall offices and offices of judges and prosecutors.
On orders of Moreno who had suspended classes in all schools in Manila up to March 15, Lacuna said that the city government is using the break to disinfect schools and its facilities.
Moreno said that should private schools need assistance for purposes of disinfecting, all they have to do is coordinate with the city government and it will send help.