More Chinese firms padlocked

June 27, 2019

FIFTEEN more Chinese-run businesses in Parañaque were ordered padlocked by Mayor Edwin Olivarez Wednesday after they were discovered operating without permits as well as foreigners working without valid work permits and visa.

Paranaque Business Permit and Licensing Office head Atty. Melanie-Soriano-Malaya said the Chinese-only restaurants have sprouted near exclusive subdivisions in Barangay Moonwalk.

Ordered closed were Shangyin Restaurant, operated by James Wong; YY Shabu Shabu and Grill, registered to Zhao Wie; Sticklove Restaurant, registered to Maria Luisa Timon; Parkson Mart, a convenience store, registered to Jackie Chan; LSSA Entrance Food Mart, operated by Carolyn Techeco; and All Things Supermart named to Robert Ong.

The six establishments, found violating several city ordinances, were all located in Multinational Village in Barangay Moonwalk.

Last Tuesday, the Bureau of Immigration arrested 35 Chinese nationals working at a construction site in Multinational Village despite the government’s policy banning foreigners from engaging in manual labor.

Authorities said the construction workers could not present any documents to show they can work in the country and some even said they’re only tourists.

On his directives, Mayor Olivarez ordered Soriano-Malaya to padlock seven more business establishmentslate Wednesday in Barangay Tambo.

These are Zan Cuo Restaurant, registered to Rex Sangga Dadezon; Ja Borja Restaurant; Aimai Minimart, owned by Jessica Frias; Golden Spring Restaurant, registered to Wilbert Ong; Tming’s Guilin Noodle House, registered to Sadie Wright; Nava Restaurant; and Mountain Fire BBQ Restaurant, owned by Regine Umipig.

Apart from the 13, two more Chinese-only restaurants, the All Things Supermareke owned by Robert Ong and Tengmeng Mini Mart, a food commissary owned by Lelybeth Buitizon in Barangay Baclaran were ordered close due to their incomplete requirements from the city government.

“This will be a citywide crackdown against erring foreign-owned restaurants and stores. Promise, no ningas kugon,” said Olivarez, reminding that foreign nationals cannot work in the city without the necessary permits and this includes blue collar jobs that our countrymen can do themselves.

For the past five days, Soriano-Malaya has already served closure orders to 33 Chinese-owned or managed restaurants and business establishments found to be either violating local ordinances or operating without the necessary permits.

“Almost all of these business establishments had no necessary requirements from the city government, local health office and even from the Bureau of Fire Protection since they started their operation last year,” she said.

These establishments also violated city ordinances on sanitation code, septage management system and the foreign signs to provide an English translation, she added.

According to Malaya, they also discovered that the Chinese nationals working as restaurant cooks, waitresses and staff are without any valid work permits and visa.

Earlier, city hall officials disclosed that majority of the Chinese-owned restaurants were using Filipino dummies.

Reports of Chinese-only restaurants have also sprouted in the southern part Metro Manila, with local officials saying this practice is illegal and discriminatory to Filipinos. Edd Reyes