AS part of security preparations for the school opening on June 3, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) established a protocol on how to deal with bomb threats.
PNP-NCRPO Chief Major General Guillermo Eleazar said they have alerted their explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) units on possible bomb calls and threats in schools.
The protocol will have a contact person or marshal in the school who will answer the bomb threat call and determine the place where the caller claims to have put the explosive and immediately act to cordon it; an individual who will report the incident to the nearest police station, and lastly the EOD unit who will conduct the search and if needed, disarm, control or detonate the explosive.
In line with this, Eleazar also urged the public to keep calm during these situations saying that bomb threats in Metro Manila in the past had turned out to be hoaxes.
Eleazar explained that the public should not panic in such situations as everything possible is being done to neutralize these threats.
In cases of suspicious-looking items randomly left behind, Eleazar said the first step is to determine whether the item had been accidentally left by someone.
Eleazar advised school officials to immediately call the nearest police precinct for assistance.
Apart from this, the PNP will also deploy a total of 7,153 police officers and personnel to secure the students returning to school.
Of the number, 2,074 will be deployed in various schools to man the so-called PADs (police assistance desks), which will be instrumental in keeping security and traffic discipline in the educational facilities.
Eleazar said these police officers will be backed up by beat and mobile policemen and 8,627 force multipliers from NGOs and local government units.
The NCRPO chief added that police marshals will also be deployed to secure passengers of buses, UV Express, taxis and jeepneys.
With Alfred Dalizon