THE number of violators apprehended under the National Capital Region Police Office’s Discipline Drive since June 13 last year up to yesterday rose to over 631,000, NCRPO chief Director Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar said, as he assured the public that the program will continue without any let-up this year since it has been proven to be a major factor in keeping peace and order in Metro Manila.
Eleazar said their strict enforcement of all city and municipal ordinances, specifically the curfew for minors and the ban on drinking in public, has kept trouble away from the streets of Metro Manila since last June.
Eleazar said as of yesterday, the number of violators apprehended since last year has already risen to 631,363 with 29,877 or 4.73 percent of those accosted found to be drinking in public places while another 38,853 or 6.15 percent of the total were minors violating the curfew ordinance.
Another 162,270 or 25.70 percent were apprehended for violating the smoking ban, 36,819 or 5.83 percent were men found loitering on the street while half-naked and 363,967 or 57.65 percent were accosted for violating other city and municipal ordinances.
Eleazar said the Northern Police District headed by Chief Superintendent Rolando B. Anduyan accounted for 45,795 of the total; the Eastern Police District under Chief Supt. Bernabe M. Balba got 119,666; the Manila Police District headed by Senior Supt. Vicente D. Danao accounted for 50,794; the Southern Police District under Chief Supt. Eliseo DC Cruz had 38,030; while the Quezon City Police District headed by Chief Supt. Joselito T. Esquivel Jr. accounted for the biggest number of violators with 377,078 or 59.72 percent of the overall figures.
The NCRPO chief said 416,303 or 65.94 percent of the violators were warned they would be charged when accosted for the second time while 124,274 or 19.68 percent were ordered to pay fines imposed by local government units.
Of the total number of persons who were asked to pay fines, 17,100 were accosted by the NPD; 84,465 by the EPD; 12,339 by the SPD and 10,370 by the QCPD.
A total of 90,786 or 14.38 percent of the total were charged in court, Eleazar said. Those charged include 4 apprehended by the NPD; 23 by the EPD; 33,195 by the MPD; 1,053 by the SPD; and 56,511 by the QCPD.
The NCRPO chief told the Journal Group that on orders of Gen. Albayalde, their discipline drive program this year will be strictly implemented by his men amid growing public support for the project.
“Despite some public criticisms, we will continue to implement the marching orders of our superiors. We will also go after violators of national laws and city/municipal ordinances,”he said.