PRC lauds Mandaluyong COVID-19 testing efforts

June 12, 2020

Mandaluyong City Mayor Menchie Abalos was commended by the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) for being its partner local government unit (LGU) with the most number of individuals submitted for COVID-19 testing.

In a letter to Mayor Abalos, PRC Chairman and CEO Richard Gordon said the efforts of Abalos an the City in testing individuals "show the high degree of dedication and commitment that you (Abalos) give to secure the safety of your people." Gordon also stressed that the efforts of Mandaluyong City in this area is "worthy of emulation by other LGUs."

Records from the City Health Office showed that individuals tested for COVID-19 in Mandaluyong City has reached 5,693 wherein 5,176 (91%) of the total was forwarded by the city government to PRC and the remaining 517 (9%) to other laboratories. Even with the already high number of tested individuals, the City Government continues to conduct RT-PCR confirmatory tests of individuals.

For her part, Mayor Abalos said there's no easy way to detect the disease unless a RT-PCR test is done to an individual. "It's the gold standard test that the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Department of Health (DOH) approves which is one of the reasons why we partnered with PRC. The proximity of their molecular lab is an advantage to us also."

Aside from the ongoing efforts to contain the spread of the virus in the city, the local government is also giving aid to almost 839 families who were affected by the fire incidents that occurred at Block 37 and 38 on June 1, and 355 families from Block 30 UBAC Compound on June 6.

Temporary shelters were immediately assigned and modular tents were set up by the city Government to house the affected families who were also provided with hot meals on a daily basis. Mayor Abalos personally distributed groceries to each family, as well as blankets, sleeping mats, and new clothes.

She also personally inspected Block 37 and 38 where the fire incident occurred and ordered the clearing of the area to lay down road constructions per the plan from the city government before the affected residents are allowed to return to their respective of residence.

The PRC expressed to support the city government of Mandaluyong by giving financial assistance to 800 families affected by the fire incident on Block 37. Each family will be given P3,500 with PRC Chairman and CEO Gordon leading the distribution to the first batch of recipients of 200 families on June 12.

In another development, Mayor Abalos also received the preliminary investigation report from the Mandaluyong-Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) on the fire that occurred on June 6. Fire investigators found that the fire started on the third floor of a rented house located at the corner of Correctional Road and Nueve de Febrero Street. This is according to the testimony of eyewitnesses who were around when the fire started.