THE Quezon City government has lifted the cease and desist order it had earlier issued on the construction of the Metro Rail Transit 7 (MRT-7) Quezon Memorial Circle (QMC) station Friday.
The QC government, and stakeholders — environmentalists, representatives from the National Housing Authority (NHA), engineers, residents, and others — have approved the new design of the station which was presented by San Miguel Corporation (SMC) and EEI Corporation.
“Ni-lift na po ng city government ang cease and desist order ngayon dahil natuwa naman po kami na binigyang-halaga ang aming concerns,” QC Mayor Joy Belmonte said.
“Today, we are very happy that we have succeeded not only in preserving our park, but at the same time, we have succeeded in ensuring that our people will have adequate mass transportation,” she added.
For Secretary Arthur Tugade, this development shows that when the national government, local government, and private sector collaborate, problems will be solved quickly.
“What this exercise shows is that when the national government, local government, and the private sector work together and cooperate, all with the same obsession— all for transparency and development— things will be solved and improved swiftly.”
Meanwhile, DOTr Undersecretary for Railways Timothy John Batan expressed his utmost appreciation for the swift settlement of the issue.
“One week later, na-resolve na, at ‘yan ay dahil sa magandang pakikipagtulungan ng national, lokal, at pribadong sektor na siya namang palaging sinasabi ni Secretary Arthur Tugade. Kapit-bisig tayo dito sa ‘Build, Build, Build,’ gaya nitong MRT-7,” Usec. Batan said.
From the initial design of 11,000 square meters above ground, it has been agreed that the latest and final design will just be a 426-square meter (sqm) above ground structure, with a height of only 6-7 meters.
For her part, San Miguel Corporation (SMC) MRT-7 Project Director Carmela Bergado has assured the local government and the stakeholders that they “will follow the redesigned and final plan.”
Usec. Batan likewise assured that the construction works for the MRT-7 project is on track, with partial operability to commence by 2021, and full revenue service by 2022.
“Currently, almost 55% complete na tayo. Lahat ng mga tren, lahat ng mga bagon, tapos na. Na-test at ready na i-ship from [South] Korea. Makikita natin na yung mga viaducts ay halos patapos na rin at ang stations ay tinatapos na. ‘Yung depot natin na tinatawag ay nasolusyunan na rin, kung kaya’t on track tayo dun sa commitment ng DOTr, ni Secretary Tugade, galing sa ating concessionaire na maging partially operable by 2021,” Usec. Batan assured.