Silver cleaner mistaken for soda kills boy, 7

May 02, 2019

A 7-year-old boy died after he accidentally drank silver cleaner placed in a bottle of soft drink  yesterday morning in Makati City.

Rain Mendoza, of Block 317, Lot 10, Mockingbird St. in Bgy. Rizal, Makati was rushed by his mother to the Ospital ng Makati but he died while undergoing treatment.

Makati police chief Col. Rogelio Simon said the victim’s mother Jennifer Mendoza, 37, was doing household chores when her 5-year-old son called her attention at around 10:45 a.m. The boy said he noticed his elder brother lying unconscious in the toilet and his mouth frothing.

Jennifer noticed the bottle of soft drink containing silver cleaner was open  prompting her to seek help from their neighbor “Tikboy” who immediately fed sugar to the victim before they rushed him to the nearest hospital.

Police believed the boy had mistaken the contents of the bottle as soda and drank it.