NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas yesterday said he has ordered his Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division to thoroughly investigate 16 NCRPO men who were caught trafficking contraband including tobacco, liquor and mobile phones in and out of the New Bilibid Prisons in Muntinlupa City.
The 16 whose names were withheld were ordered to submit their respective counter-affidavit until today to shed light on the charges against them.
Sinas said that in the aftermath of the incident, he will keep an eye on the policemen assigned at the state penitentiary. He refused to name the 16 policemen but ordered their reassignment at the NCRPO Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit while undergoing investigation.
However, he said that the 16 were among the 551 members of the NCRPO Regional Mobile Force and District Mobile Forces Companies sent to the NBP to help secure the prison’s maximum security compound last month.
Accordingly, the 16 men in uniform were caught in possession of liquor, electronic gadgets including cell phones and tobacco when subjected to frisking and a thorough inspection by officers from the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology.
The contrabands confiscated from the policemen were placed under the custody of the BJMP for proper disposition.
“We will never tolerate this illegal activity and discipline must prevail. This is saddening but we will not concede. This is just one of our continuing challenges. We will not relent on our reforms to cleanse our organization,” said Sinas.
However, the new Metro Manila police director said he wants the rights of the 16 policemen protected too.
“Let us also observe their rights to be investigated. Huwag natin agad silang ikondena. Bigyan natin sila ng chance na magpaliwanag,” he said.
According to the official, the NCRPO-RDIMD is expected to issue its final evaluation of the case against the 16 this coming Friday.