FOUR suspects in the alleged abduction of minors in Metro Manila were arrested by agents of the Regional Special Operations Unit of the National Capital Region Police Office in an operation Monday afternoon in Quezon City.
NCRPO chief Director Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar said one of the suspects identified as Norly Rafael was arrested by barangay officials in Bgy. Commonwealth.
Eleazar said the five parents together with their children who were reportedly targeted for abduction by the suspect and his cohorts showed up at their office during investigation.
One of the complainants claimed that her 9-year old daughter was abducted on Monday by the suspect but the girl was able to escape. Another claimed that her 4-year-old son was forcibly snatched by the suspect last Saturday evening but the boy managed to free himself from the suspect’s hold.
Eleazar said the other complainants claimed that their children with ages ranging from 7-11 years old were also nearly abducted by the suspect on Thursday last week.
The parents confronted the suspect at the NCRPO headquarters and said they recognized him as the man in a viral photo linked to the attempted abduction of minors on Riverside Street in their barangay.
In the viral photo, a man suspected of attempting to kidnap children was seen holding a guitar. Rafael was holding a guitar similar to the one in the viral photo when he was arrested.
Meanwhile, Gloria Payos, 70, a native of Bulusan town, Sorsogon, was arrested after she tried to kidnap two children in Marikina City.
Police said Payos first grabbed a four-year-old girl who was eating outside their house on Malvar Street in Barangay Jesus Dela Peña. However, the child’s mother immediately saw Payos who then quickly escaped when the mother confronted her.
A few minutes later, the suspect also tried to snatch a two-year old girl. The suspect was seen taking the girl but the girl was able to free herself from the suspect’s hold and run to her mother.
Payos will be charged with attempted abduction.
With Arlene Rivera