THE Department of Health yesterday said 10 more cases of coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 have been recorded, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 20.
Health Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the results of the testing conducted on samples collected from March 6 to 8 were released earlier in the day.
She added that authorities are now conducting contact tracing.
“Rest assured that the Department of Health is maximizing all channels... to immediately identify and isolate, if needed, those who had contact with confirmed cases,” Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III said in a statement.
Vergeire said the four COVID-19 cases reported on Sunday night were all in stable condition at various hospitals across Metro Manila.
The DOH Epidemiology Bureau has traced 468 contacts of COVID-19 patients 4 to 10, 113 of whom have been assessed.
Of these, 107 have been placed under home quarantine while six have been isolated and classified as persons under investigation for possible COVID-19 infection.
Vergeire indicated that the DOH and the local government units had agreed that the DOH would give the media information on where COVID-19 cases are hospitalized. It will be the LGUs that will identify the patients’ areas of residence.
“May usapan na po na pagkatapos magdeklara ng DOH, sila naman po ay puwedeng mag-declare ng press conferences nila,” she said.
The health official said that the DOH’s existing stock of test kits is currently a little above 2,000. The World Health Organization is set to donate an additional 1,000 kits this week.