25 more cops catch COVID-19

TWENTY-FIVE more Philippine National Police personnel have contracted the COVID-19 virus while on duty bringing to 440 the total number of policemen who have been infected by the unseen killer since last March 16, officials said yesterday.

According to the PNP Health Service headed by Brigadier General Herminio S. Tadeo Jr., there have been seven COVID-19 deaths in the police force so far although 258 have already recovered from the disease, the latest of them 17 police officers.

Tadeo said that they are currently taking care of 699 policemen who have been categorized as probable persons under investigation (PUIs) and 874 suspected PUIs.’

Over 1,100 Filipinos have died after contracting the virus while more than 6,800 have recovered.

A report to PNP chief General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa said that the two latest policemen who succumbed to illnesses aggravated by COVID-19 were both from Cebu City. The two died last Sunday, four days before the PNP chief sent 100 additional policemen from Western and Eastern Visayas to help enforce the Enhanced Community Quarantine in the city.

Gen. Gamboa extended his condolences to the bereaved families of the two policemen, one of them described as PNP Patient No. 390, a 46-year-old male officer.

The second is PNP Patient No. 400, a 29-year-old male policeman.

Tadeo said that Patient 390 was admitted to the hospital last June 4 due to fever, cough, shortness of breath, diarrhea, dizziness, and nausea.

He underwent an RT-PCR procedure last June 10 and tested positive for the virus. Last Sunday and on June 10, the result of RT-PCR was positive.  He died on Sunday morning.

On the other hand,  Patient 400 was admitted to the hospital last June 7 after figuring in a motor vehicle crash. The following day, he underwent a COVID-19 test and was confirmed to be positive for the virus two days later. Around 3 a.m. Sunday, he passed away.

Gen. Gamboa assured the families of both police officers of full financial support and other benefits.