BI: Travel restrictions stay unless revised by IATF-EID

August 07, 2020

Travel restrictions stay unless revised.

EXISTING travel restrictions remain unchanged until these are revised or changed by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

Thus said Bureau of Immigration (BI) ports operation division chief Grifton Medina,  adding that the government has not imposed additional restrictions or revised its guidelines on international travel despite the reimposition of Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) in Metro Manila and other areas of the country.

Medina said the country remains off limits to foreign tourists and that aside from Filipinos, only holders of permanent immigrant visas and foreign spouses, minor dependents and foreign parents of Filipino minor children can enter the country. \He added that dependents of Filipinos and children of foreigners who have special needs may enter the country, regardless of age, as he also reiterated that only foreigners, overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and Filipinos who are permanent residents or students abroad are permitted to leave the country.

Medina also reported that despite the government’s decision to allow the entry of aliens with permanent resident or immigrant visa, only 87 of them have so far arrived since August 1 to 5, 2020.  The figure represents a 94-percent drop from 1,412 permanent residents who arrived in the country during the same five-day period in 2019.

Before this, the BI said its records indicate that about 15,000 foreigners who are permanent residents remain stranded abroad due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Medina also bares that unlike domestic flights which are suspended under MECQ, international flights at the airports in Manila, Cebu and Clark continue.