JUSTICE Secretary Menardo Guevarra has said that the Commission on Civil Service has endorsed former Customs commissioner Nicanor Faeldon for appointment as head of the Bureau of Corrections to Malacanang.
This developed after Faeldon through his lawyer Jose Diñ refuted reports that he is a “no-show” in his new position as BuCor head, saying there was no appointment to speak of.
Faeldon said he cannot assume a post to which he was not appointed to and that even though Guevarra has made an announcement on his supposed appointment, Malacanang has not confirmed the news about it.
Guevarra, who has supervision over BuCor, said last Saturday that Faeldon had not assumed the post as BuCor chief.
Guevarra said DoJ Assistant Secretary Melvin Ramon Buenafe, who is the
BuCor deputy director general for security and operation, had been appointed as OIC of BuCor while waiting for Faeldon to assume the post.
“Civil Service Chair Alicia dela Rosa-Bala has informed me by phone this morning that she has signed a favorable recommendation for Nicanor Faeldon as Bureau of Corrections director general.
“Recommendation to be sent to the Palace,’ Guevarra said.
After Faeldon’s statement on Monday, Guevarra confirmed that the appointment process has not been completed yet, though he added, President Duterte has stated a month ago that he wanted Faeldon to replace Ronald Dela Rosa as the new BuCor chief.
Dela Rosa resigned his post after he filed his certificate of candidacy for senator in the 2019 mid-term elections.