AFTER the Bayanihan to Heal As One Act lapsed last month, the Department of Health (DOH) is looking for ways to provide compensation for healthcare workers who died and suffered from severe symptoms of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
In a media forum on Thursday, DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the department wanted to continue the compensation for health workers but cannot do so until there is a "sound basis" in the form of a law.
The Bayanihan law, which lapsed on June 24, mandates P1 million death compensation for the families of healthcare workers who died from COVID-19. Those who got severely ill while on duty would also get P100,000 compensation.
"Humahanap din tayo ng ibang avenue kaya tayo nakikipag-discuss sa iba't ibang ahensiya na hindi lamang sa Bayanihan to Heal As One Act pwede no, baka naman pwede tayo makakuha o makipag-usap, sa tinitingnan na natin ngayon sa mga GSIS and the other agencies which can provide this basis, also to continue on providing compensation to these health workers na namatay o 'di kaya ay naging severe or critical,” Vergeire said.
Vergeire said the 34th Covid-19 death among healthcare workers is a barangay health worker in the National Capital Region.
To date, the DOH said about 3,422 healthcare workers were infected with Covid-19. Of the total number of cases, only one or .03 percent is severely ill and there is no health worker in critical condition. PNA