CNN Philippines — The enhanced community quarantine over Luzon will be extended until April 30, a Cabinet official said on Tuesday.
Karlo Nograles, spokesperson of the COVID-19 task force, said President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force to extend the quarantine to 11:59 pm of April 30 to further contain the spread of COVID-19. Under the earlier order, the present quarantine is scheduled to end at 12:00 a.m. of April 13.
"Pagkatapos ng kanyang announcement ay vinerify po namin ulit at ang sagot po ay, ang enhanced community quarantine is hereby extended until 11:59pm of April 30," he said in a virtual media briefing.
He said there is no need to expand the lockdown to cover Visayas and Mindanao.
Luzon is home to over 57 million people and where Metro Manila, the country’s political and economic center, is located.
The movement of people will continue to be severely restricted under the extended quarantine, with most only allowed to leave their homes for essential trips such as to buy food or medicine.
The Health Department has so far recorded 3,660 cases of COVID-19, 163 deaths, and 73 recoveries.