PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte and his former top aide and now Sen. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go tested negative for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
“The results of the tests for COVID-19 conducted on President Rodrigo Duterte and I turned out negative. We are fit and healthy to perform our duties,” Go said in a statement. “But just like our advice to the general public, we will take precautionary measures seriously and comply with the advice of our health officials in order to remain healthy and avoid the spread of the virus while still being able to perform our mandate to the Filipino people,” he added.
The senator then assured the public that as elected officials, they “should do everything we can to be of service to the Filipino people.”
“The government as a whole should still do its job in a manner that will not put the health of others at risk. Hindi pwedeng ipagpaliban ang tulong sa kapwa Pilipino, tuloy-tuloy dapat ang serbisyo (service should continue),” Go said.
Duterte and Go on Thursday underwent tests for the viral disease after some Cabinet members and senators have gone on self-quarantine.
The coronavirus, which broke out in Wuhan, China, has spread to more than 100 countries including the Philippines in recent weeks.
The global death toll from the coronavirus is over 4,000 with more than 120,000 confirmed cases, according to the World Health Organization.
The Philippines has so far confirmed 64 cases of the disease, and President Duterte declared a state of public health emergency and suspended classes in Metro Manila this week.
Also on Thursday, Duterte announced the imposition of “community quarantine” in Metro Manila, after the COVID-19 alert system was raised to Code Red Sub-level 2.
The Philippine health department placed the country under Code Red Sub-Level 2 after the Department of Health recorded the first local transmission from the wife of the fifth confirmed case of coronavirus disease.