‘Forewarned’ Acierto escaped — Department of Justice

April 26, 2019

Department of Justice will investigate the premature release of a resolution indicting former police officer Eduardo Acierto and several others before the Manila regional trial court  over the alleged smuggling of shabu worth billions of pesos last year.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said that the premature release to the media of the resolution preempted an operation set by the National Bureau of Investigation last week to arrest Acierto and his co-respondents.

“Yes, the Office of the Prosecutor General is now doing the probe,” Guevarra said.

“He has been hiding since the Senate blue ribbon committee chaired by Sen. Richard Gordon investigated the magnetic-lifter drug smuggling cases. I suppose that leaked information of his impending arrest made him hide all the more,” he added.

NBI agents were supposed to look for Acierto during Holy Week to serve the arrest warrant issued by the Manila RTC, but the resolution was reported by online media outfits last April 17, a day before the scheduled operation.

Guevarra supposedly issued a strict directive to keep the resolution confidential so as not to jeopardize the hunt for Acierto and the other respondents.

Acierto recently surfaced in a press conference with select media outfits and linked President Duterte’s former adviser Michael Yang in the illegal drug trade.