Full alert vs suicide bombers

Suicide bombers
Soldiers walk past the body of a man slumped beside a tricycle following an armed attack in front of the temporary headquarters of the army's First Brigade Combat team, in Jolo on the southern island of Mindanao on June 28, 2019. An attack on a special Philippine army counter-terrorism unit left three soldiers dead and nine others wounded in the southern Philippines on June 28, military spokesmen and witnesses told AFP. NICKEE BUTLANGAN / AFP

THE Philippine National Police, particularly in Metro Manila, is on high alert in the aftermath of a terror attack on an Armed Forces detachment at 12 noon Friday in Indanan, Sulu that killed three soldiers and two suicide bombers and injured 17 people.

Natiional Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar on Friday night placed the entire Metro Manila police force on full alert.

“The National Capital Region Police Office is saddened and sends its deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the recent bombings in the vicinity of a military camp in Tanjung, Indanan, Sulu,” said Gen. Eleazar.

“Although there are no threats detected within the National Capital Region, as a proactive means in response to this terror attack the entire region is now placed under full alert status effective 6 pm today. Having this measure would be of great help in deterring unscrupulous individuals in carrying out their illegal or terroristic acts,” Eleazar said.

The official also encouraged the public to maintain their vigilance and report any suspicious activity or person to the nearest police station or through the NCRPO text hotlines: Globe: 09158888181 and Smart: 09999018181.

Other Philippine National Police commanders in Luzon and the Visayas were given the discretion by PNP chief Director General Oscar D. Albayalde to raise their alert status depending on the prevailing peace and order situation in their areas. All other police forces in Mindanao as well as the PNP Special Action Force are already on full alert.

An initial investigation showed that one of the suspects tried to enter the military detachment in the area but was frisked by duty sentries. While being bodily searched, the still unidentified suspect detonated a powerful improvised explosive device he was carrying killing him on the spot as well as Army Privates First Class Dominique Inte, a resident of Upper Sicpao, Sominot, Zamboanga del Sur and Recarte Alban Jr., of Dimataling, Zamboanga del Sur and Corporal Richard Macabadbad, a resident of Payatas, Fairview, Quezon City.

A second suspect also rushed inside the patrol base and detonated another IED instantly killing him and civilians Basar Abdul,32, owner of a sari-sari store in the area, and Dawili Julhumar Alamara, a 29-year-old tricycle driver.

Also wounded by IED shrapnel were Kabra Mahamod,41; 2-year-old boy Mudzrimar Talib; Boy Taha, 63; Nuerol Taha, 47; Nurmalyn Adji, 25; and Mudar Dammang, 25; all residents of Sitio Manpower  and Marwida Abdulhan, 22; and Musnada Ismi, 18, both residents of Sitio Boutan, also in the same barangay and  Staff Sergeants Marlon Domingo and Ferdinand Clemente; Sgts. Jykyl Bautista, Richard Tudla, Mark Joseph Mamingcol and William Andreade; and Pfcs. John Angelo Carpio, Dariel Bolivar and Ralph Sabroso.

Two other soldiers identified as Cpl. Rommel Soliman and Pfc. Ryan Ferrer were ordered to be transferred to another hospital for further treatment due to the gravity of their injuries.

Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Police Regional Office director Brig. Gen. Marni C. Marcos Jr. said that members of the Sulu Provincial Crime Laboratory Office and the PNP-SAF’s Explosives and Ordnance Office processed the scene where body parts believed to belong to the two unidentified suspects were found strewn in different areas.

Marcos said that the bodies of the two civilian casualties were immediately claimed by their respective families for burial in accordance with Muslim tradition.

An investigation into the incident is still ongoing. Officials said they are looking into the possibility that the bombers could have mingled with civilian evacuees in the area.