Jee Ick Joo remembered at Camp Crame

October 18, 2019

RELATIVES and friends of murdered South Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo yesterday flocked to the exact site in Camp Crame where he was strangled by a group of rogue police officers three years ago.

The Koreans offered prayers and flowers at the exact place -- a few meters away from the headquarters of the now defunct Philippine National Police Anti-Illegal Drugs Group -- where he was killed.

Jee Ick-Joo’s family and supporters have been crying for justice and are hoping that the culprits will be convicted and jailed for life.

They also have questioned the ruling of Judge Irin Zenaida Buan of the Angeles City Regional Trial Court. Branch 56 which granted bail to the suspected mastermind, then Police Superintendent Rafael Dumlao III, last May.

Jerry Omlang, an errand boy at the National Bureau of Investigation had tagged Dumlao as the alleged “brains” behind the abduction of the Korean inside the Friendship Subdivision in Angeles City in Pampanga before he was taken to Camp Crame where he was killed on October 18, 2016.

Omlang said they were welcomed by Dumlao at Camp Crame where Jee offered P4 million for his freedom. He added that he joined the other accused in withdrawing money from Jee’s ATM account in Greenhills, San Juan City. Shortly after, the victim was choked to death.

The victim was reportedly taken by the suspects led by then Senior Police

Officer 3 Ricky Santa Isabel to a funeral parlor in Caloocan City where his remains were cremated and flushed down the toilet.

Jee’s wife, Choi Kyung-jin had testified that the kidnappers demanded an P8 million ransom but she only managed to give them P5 million on October 30, 2016. She said she did not give the kidnappers the remaining P3 million when they failed to present proof that Jee was still alive.

PNP investigators  eventually discovered that the kidnappers demanded more money from the victim’s wife even though they have already killed him.

The case prompted then PNP chief-now-Senator Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa to offer his resignation to President Rodrigo Duterte although the latter rejected it saying the PNP chief cannot be faulted for the killing since the suspected perpetrators are not part of his team.