Probe of prosecutors on narco-list eyed

March 31, 2019

THE Department of Justice (DoJ) will look into the alleged complicity of several prosecutors in the illegal drugs trade.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said that he would personally lead the fact-finding investigation against 10 prosecutors included in the so-called narco-list of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

“Once identified and there’s scintilla of evidence, I myself will lead the investigation against them. That (involvement of prosecutors in illegal drugs trade) is just unacceptable,” he stressed.

Guevarra stressed that the Duterte administration implements a zero tolerance policy on involvement of government officials in illegal drugs -- especially in his department that is tasked to prosecute drug suspects.

Guevarra said his office would coordinate with PDEA director general Aaron Aquino for a parallel investigation by the National Bureau of Investigation, the fact-finding and law enforcement arm of the DoJ.

”PDEA and DoJ can do parallel investigations if PDEA is willing to share its initial intelligence information with us at this time,” he said.

The PDEA revealed last week that its narco-list includes 10 prosecutors and 13 judges, but did not release their names pending verification and further validation of their alleged involvement in drugs.

Aquino aired frustration that their efforts are wasted with the dismissal of cases they have filed.