Tear down illegal campaign posters, cops told

February 25, 2019
Oscar D. Albayalde

ACTING on orders of President Duterte, Philippine National Police chief Director General Oscar D. Albayalde has ordered his men to remove campaign posters and advertisements for the May 13 national and local elections from all government owned properties in compliance with the fair election act.

The President coursed his order through Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año last week.

In turn, Gen. Albayalde issued a directive cascading the orders of the chief executive to all PNP regional directors for immediate action to take down all election campaign materials in government offices and facilities such as billboards, tarpaulins, posters, steamers, banners, and similar campaign materials, to give teeth to the enforcement of provisions of Comelec Resolution No. 10488.

“The PNP is duty bound to ensure a level playing field for honest, orderly and peaceful elections in May as an apolitical and non-partisan deputized agency of the Commission on Elections,” the PNP chief said.
“To be more emphatic about the strictly apolitical stand of the PNP, I am serving notice to all police personnel to remain steadfast along this command policy with due regard to existing rules and regulations that prohibit personnel from engaging in partisan political activity,”  Gen. Albayalde added.

According to PNP spokesman Senior Superintendent Bernard M. Banac, the 181,775-strong police force will be deployed for public safety and general law enforcement duties on election day.

Of this number, 99,976 or 55 percent will be deployed in polling centers, while 54,532 personnel or 30 percent will be assigned to Quick Reaction Teams.

Another 18,177 policemen or 10 percent will compose the Reactionary Standby Support Force while the remaining 9,089 will compose the Red Team and Headquarters Skeletal Forces.