PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte will not face an international tribunal after the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) adopted a resolution seeking to look into the human rights situation in the country, stressing that he will only answer to a Philippine court.
“I will only face, be tried or face a trial in a Philippine court, presided (over) by a Filipino judge, (and) prosecuted by a Filipino. And maybe they can reimpose death penalty, (so I can) die in Filipino land,” Duterte said early Wednesday morning in an interview over Pastor Apollo Quiboloy’s television program.
Last week, the 48-member UNHRC adopted an Iceland resolution, which urged the human rights body to investigate alleged violation of human rights in the Philippines amid the Duterte administration’s war on drugs.
This prompted Duterte to seriously consider cutting ties with the Nordic island nation.
Stressing that the Philippines has a working justice system, Duterte slammed the international tribunal as “stupid” for expecting him to answer questions from a Caucasian.
“I will not answer a Caucasian…You must be stupid. Who are you? I am a Filipino. We have our courts here. (Why) you have to bring me somewhere else? I would not like that. I have my country. It’s working, I know it’s working (and) justice is working here,” he said.
The President insisted that the international community may only step in “when there is a total breakdown of justice in a country.”
He also slammed the opposition for “itching to go to trial.”
“I’d love to debate with them anytime. I may not be a well-renowned lawyer, but I’m a lawyer. They are lawyers who do not…lawyers who, ayaw nilang pumatay. Ako ‘yung lawyer kasi sa trabaho ko pumapatay ako. If nobody does it, who will do it for us?” he said.