2 Ecija gun attacks: Law firm sec, farmer killed

CABANATUAN CITY -- A female secretary in a law firm was killed and her driver was hurt while another 51-year-old farmer was shot dead before the horrified eyes of his two kids in two separate gun attacks staged by unidentified motorcycle-riding suspects in Rizal and Jaen towns last Sunday night and Monday morning.

In Rizal town, provincial police chief Col. Leon Victor Z. Rosete identified the slain secretary as Catherine Ken, 47, and her wounded driver as Regino Rico, 55, welder, a widower, both of Bgy. Mayapyap, this city.

The gun attack was pulled off by unidentified suspects on board a single motorcycle along the provincial road in Bgy. Poblacion Norte, Rizal at 9:30 p.m, said Police Capt. Rey Ian Agliam, deputy chief of police.

Agliam said the victims were onboard a tricycle and upon reaching the said place, they were shot seven times by the suspects that caused the woman’s instantaneous death. He said the driver was rushed to the Dr. PJGMRMC here for emergency treatment.

In Jaen, town police head, Major Erwin Ferry identified the slain farmer as Felipe Santillan, 51, of Bgy. Poblacion, San Isidro, Nueva Ecija.

The victim was bound for his farm driving a red Motorstar tricycle with his two children as passengers when he was attacked in Bgy. Sapang, Jaen at 7:30 a.m.

Ferry said the suspects who were wearing a black bonnet and a helmet on board a black Kawasaki Bajaj motorcycle approached the victim and one of them shot him several times in different parts of the body. His two kids were unharmed.

Ferry said his men who immediately responded to the crime scene rushed the victim to the Gonzales General Hospital in nearby San Leonardo town but was declared dead on arrival by the attending physician.

Recovered from the crime scene were three spent shells and a fired bullet for cal. 45 pistol.

Police said the victim’s cadaver was brought to the Bandy Funeral Service in San Isidro town for autopsy.

Rosete said they are still investigating the motives behind the twin attacks which occurred during the implementation of the nationwide gun ban.