TWO members of the Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group involved in a 2018 shooting incident in Cainta, Rizal which killed a driver-aide of former Biliran representative-lawyer Glen Chong have surrendered to face the charges against them, PNP chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa announced yesterday.
The two were identified as Captain Jon Russel Barnacha and Staff Sergeant Alvin dela Cruz, both former members of the Regional Highway Patrol Unit 4-A who were among those charged in connection with the shooting incident in Floodway, Cainta, Rizal on December 9, 2018.
Gen. Gamboa said that the two voluntarily surrendered to him thru PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group director, Brigadier Gen. Jonnel C. Estomo after the Cainta Regional Trial Court Branch 99 issued a warrant of arrest against them for two counts of murder.
“Police Captain Barnacha and his personnel voluntarily surrendered to shed light regarding the case and to face the trial equally,” the PNP chief said.
Gen. Gamboa said that the two have been placed on AWOL status prior to their surrender and have been denied of their salaries and other benefits since then due to the principle of ‘no work, no pay’ in the government.
Chong had previously claimed that his driver Richard Santillan was tortured and was not engaged in any form of illegal activities. The 45-year old Santillan and his lone passenger, Gessamyn Casing, 39, died in the controversial police operation.
However, then Police Regional Office 4-A director, Brig. Gen. Edward E. Carranza denied the accusations as he stood by his men who fired on the two while they were on board a Toyota Fortuner with plate no. NOF-845 said to be owned by Chong.
Carranza said that of