3rd doctor joins COVID-19 cases in Quezon; carrier, PUI die

April 06, 2020
Southern Luzon Command (Solcom) troops
Southern Luzon Command (Solcom) troops under Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade and personnel of Lucena City police station lead the evacuation of residents. Photo by GEMI FORMARAN

LUCENA CITY — Apart from the two doctors who were earlier tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) here, a female doctor has been added to the list.

City Mayor Roderick Alcala said the doctor belongs to the staff of Quezon Medical Center, the biggest public hospital in  Quezon which operates under the management of the provincial government.

Alcala said the city has six confirmed COVID-19 cases but almost all of them are in stable condition.

In a 11 a.m. bulletin issued by Quezon Public Information Office (QPIO) under Janet Geneblazo, it was announced that a patient from Unisan town who was earlier confirmed to have been infected by the virus and another patient under investigation (PUI) in Calauag town have both died this morning (Monday).

The QPIO also announced the inclusion of the said female doctor in this city and a female nurse in Tayabas City in the list of confirmed COVID cases.

On Saturday, a confirmed carrier of the virus in Candelaria town and two PUIs also passed away due to acute respiratory failure.

At present, Quezon province has 13 confirmed cases with two deaths and 368 validated PUIs with 7 deaths.

Alcala in an interview assured the public that they are doing everything to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.

He noted that they have already completed the contact tracing at Purok Bagong Sinag in Bgy. Cotta, here, where a contruction worker who had a drinking spree with his neighbors and closed contacts with fellow workers  tested positive for the virus.

He said 34 individuals were identified and eventually isolated in Grand Riviera Hotel for quarantine after undergoing swab testing.

Upon the recommendation of Southern Luzon Command (Solcom) chief Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade and the rest of Inter Agency Task Force members in the province, Alcala was compelled to order the evacuation of more than a hundred individuals living in the congested residential area of the crowded village and their temporary relocation at Cotta National High School and South 1 Elementary School.