4 killed in funeral wake attack

March 07, 2019

LUCENA CITY -- Four men were killed while two others, including a village chief, was wounded when an unidentified pistol- wielding man suddenly opened fire in the middle of a funeral wake at Bgy. Ilog, in the coastal town of Infanta, Quezon on Wednesday night.

Quezon police director, Senior Supt. Osmundo de Guzman identified those killed as Michael Cuento, 50, his cousins Herman, 70, and Leon, 73; and Manuel Cuerdo, 41, all residents of said village.

Those who sustained bullet wounds were Napoleon Miras, 68, chairman of Bgy.Poblacion 1, and Maximo Cuento, 65.

De Guzman said the incident happened at 8:45 p.m. while the victims were attending the funeral wake of a neighbor.

From nowhere, De Guzman said the suspect armed with a cal. 45 pistol suddenly appeared in the wake and without saying a word, quickly opened fire hitting all the victims.

He said all the victims were rushed to Claro M. Recto Memorial District but the four were pronounced dead on arrival.

De Guzman said police investigation initially showed that Michael was the target of the lone gun- man and the rest were just collateral damage.

“After Michael fell on the ground, the suspect stepped closer and pumped more bullets on the victim’s head and body. This indicates that Michael was the target”, said de Guzman.

He said after confirming that Michael was already dead, the suspect quickly fled on a get-away motorcycle driven by a cohort.

Police operatives are still tracking them down.

It was learned that Michael was an employee of the municipal government before he engaged in a quarry operation and before he became the table manager of Pirouette Corporation, the company that operates the Small Town Lottery in the town.

Police record shows that in 2016, Michael was ambushed and wounded but luckily survived.

Police learned the attack had something to do with his job in the gambling operation after they arrested the gunman who up to now is detained  at the Quezon District Jail.

In 2017, Michael’ s lady employee at the company was gunned down by unidentified perpetrator.