Carranza denies coddling

March 21, 2019
Edward Carranza

LUCENA CITY -- Police Regional Office 4-A  director Chief Supt. Edward Carranza vehemenly denied allegations that he is coddling the relieved police chief who had gone missing after he was named by three policemen as the one who ordered the killing of a Quezon mayor’s son and his companion last March 14 in Tayabas City.

Carranza issued the denial after he was directly named by Sariaya Mayor Marcelo Gayeta as the one protecting and coddling Supt. Mark Joseph Laygo, the earstwhile chief of Tayabas City police station and the latter’s two trusted men, PO3 Robert Legazpi and PO2 Lonald Sumalpong.

“Buong buo pa rin po ang tiwala ko sa kapulisan mula sa araw na pinatay ang aking anak hanggang sa sandaling ito pero hinding hindi po ako naniniwala na hindi alam ni Gen. Carranza kung nasaan si Col. Laygo at ang dalawa niyang tauhan”, said Gayeta during an ambush interview shortly before the interment of his son Christian.

Gayeta appealed to Carranza and National Police chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde to produce the hiding policemen and place them behind bars.

“Masisira po ang imahe ng kapulisan kapag hindi ninyo sila nailabas para sumuko upang harapin ang kanilang ginawa. At kung hindi po ninyo kayang pasunurin ang mga pulis ninyo, umalis na rin kayo sa inyong mga pwesto”, the mayor lamented in tears.

But Carranza categoticall denied the allegations, saying ,”With due respect to Mayor Gayeta whom I  believe just got emotional while being interviewed, I do not and will no coddle erring policemen. In the first place, I only met Laygo while he was in a floating status at the regional office.

Carranza said he is keeping his promise to the mayor that the police will be fair in the investigation of the case and that it will cooperate to the parallel investigation now being conducted by the National Bureau of investigation (NBI).

Accompanied by Senior Supt. Joseph Arguelles, the newly installed Quezon police director, Carranza visited at the wake of Christian in Sariaya town to personally condole  with the victim’s family last Tuesday.