CRIME incidents in Cavite have gone down by 66 percent from March 17 to date compared to the same period last February owing to the strict implementation of the enhanced community quarantine in the province which already had resulted in the apprehension of nearly 1,700 violators, a report to Police Regional Office 4-A director, Brigadier General Vicente D. Danao Jr. said yesterday.
Cavite Police Provincial Office director, Colonel Marlon R. Santos said that during the quarantine period from March 17-26, they only recorded 17 cases of index crimes which include murder, physical injuries, rape, robbery, theft and carnapping. During the same period last month, the Cavite police recorded 50 index crimes.
However, Santos said that incidents of non-index crime in the province which include acts of lasciviousness, alarm and scandal, direct assault, grave threats and resistance and disobedience to persons in authority increased by 218 percent or 98 cases compared to the previous month with 43.
He said that the number increased significantly due to violations of the Enhanced Quarantine Rule which led to the filing of 105 cases for direct assault, resisting arrest an disobedience to persons in authority against local residents who defied orders for them to return to their homes and even challenged authorities.
The Cavite police director said that traffic accidents also went down by 73 percent or 198 cases during the period compared to February figure which is 272 incidents.
Santos said that cases of illegal gambling, drugs and firearms also increased by 27.6 percent or a total of 181 compared to the 143 cases filed last month. He added that incidents of violence against women and children in the province also went down by 46 percent or 7 cases this month compared to the 15 last February.