Cop, 2 cohorts die in armed encounter in Pampanga

March 05, 2020

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga -- A policeman and his two cohorts died in an armed encounter with members of the city police here during a hot pursuit operation that ended in Sto. Tomas, Pampanga last March 3.

Reports reaching Brig. Gen. Rhodel O. Sermonia, Police Regional Office 3 director, identified the slain suspects as PO2 Wilson Castro Regala, 44, resident of Floridablanca, Pampanga; Edgardo Caliuag Jr., of legal age, resident of Lower Bicutan in Taguig City; and Segundino Ellazo, 47, also of Lower Bicutan, Taguig City.

Regala, the alleged leader of the group, used to be assigned at the PRO3 Communications and Electronics Service in Camp Olivas, Pampanga before he was placed in a “frozen” position in Camp Crame after he was arrested in Tagaytay City last year for alleged carnapping.

The three suspects were being pursued by San Fernando policemen and Pampanga provincial police intelligence operatives after they were tagged as suspects in the robbery of a man in front of his residence in this city.

The victim, who arrived home from a cockpit arena, was robbed at gunpoint by three men on board a black Hyundai Accent car with plate no. AAW-9065.

The victim, who refused to be identified for security reasons, immediately sought police assistance and a hot pursuit followed.

Col. Jean Fajardo, Pampanga police director, said the suspects shot at the pursuing policemen who retaliated resulting to the former’s death.

Police recovered from Regala a Colt cal. .45 pistol with seven cartridges, different identification cards and his driver’s license.

From Caliuag, police recovered a Norinco cal. .45 pistol with 10 cartridges, assorted identification and other cards and a face mask.

Police also recovered a driver’s license and a cellular phone from Ellazo.

From inside the black Hyundai accent (AAW-9065) police recovered two cal. .45 magazines with 15 live ammunition, three .45 live ammunition, the P10,000 the suspects allegedly took from the robbery victim, and two driver’s license.

Prosecutor Chito Pantaleon was requested to conduct on-site inquest at the site of the armed encounter.