A POLICEMAN accused of involvement in the killing of a radioman in Dumaguete City last May is not in hiding but is actually undergoing quarantine in a National Capital Region Police Office facility amid suspicions he has contracted COVID-19, Philippine National Police chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa said.
“Police Executive Master Sergeant Reuel Pinero is now in the NCRPO. According to his RD (Regional Director, Major General Debold M. Sinas), he is undergoing a 14-day quarantine in their own quarantine facility. Pinero is well and alive in the NCRPO where he is assigned,” said the PNP chief.
The Presidential Task Force on Media Security last week tagged Pinero as one of the “Persons of Interest’ in the killing of Cornelio ‘Rex’ Pepino in front of his house in Dumaguete City last May 5. It added that Pinero was allegedly picked up by some PNP officials before he could ‘spill the beans’ regarding the case.
The charges was finally answered by Gen. Gamboa on Friday.
Pepino, 48, was shot several times by unidentified motorcycle-riding gunmen and died while being taken to a local hospital. He and his wife were on their way home when he was shot. His wife was unhurt in the incident.
The victim had just finished his evening program ‘Pukpukin Mo Baby’ at DYMD-FM when ambushed.