PHILIPPINE National Police chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa has maintained that policemen committing human rights abuses and wantonly violating the law in their conduct of anti-narcotics operations will get the heavy punishment they fully deserve.
He referred to cases like that of 17-year-old Kian Lloyd delos Santos and that of the 11 former members of the San Jose del Monte City Police Station in Bulacan accused of killing six suspected drug traffickers in separate shootouts last February.
In the Kian case, the PNP chief said they will fully respect the court verdict on the matter and ‘would gladly implement the requirements by the court.’
He also stressed that abducting, killing and planting evidence on known drug dealers in the country is not a practice of the national police force.
“Yes it is not a norm. This has already been looked into. (In fact), I caused the restrictive custody of the six policemen, told the Regional Director to impose the restrictions so that these policemen, if charged in court, would face their accusers,” he said in reaction to a Journal Group query during a virtual press briefing on Monday.
Last week, Gen. Gamboa ordered the administrative relief and restrictive custody of the 11 former members San Jose del Monte City Police Station anti-narcotics agents.
The 11 who were named respondents in a criminal information sheet filed by the National Bureau of Investigation before the National Prosecution Service for alleged kidnapping with serious illegal detention, murder and planting of evidence under Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 were Major Leo Commendador dela Rosa and his subordinates, Staff Sergeants Benjie Enconado, Jayson Legaspi, Irwin Yuson and Edmund Catubay Jr.; Corporals Jay Leoncio, Herbert Hernandez, Raymond Bayan and Raul Malgapo; and Patrolmen Erwin Sabido and Rusco Madla.
Maj. dela Rosa and the 10 others used to be assigned with the Station Drug Enforcement Unit of the San Jose del Monte City police force before being transferred to the Police Regional Office 3 headquarters in Camp Olivas in San Fernando City, Pampanga two months ago.
Gen. Gamboa assured the full cooperation and support of the PNP to the NBI in further investigating the 11 who were accused by the NBI of ‘fabricating’ reports on their separate encounters with the six during buy-bust operations.”
The Chief PNP emphasized that the unlawful actions of the indicted policemen are purely their own and are not sanctioned by any official orders, policy, or regulation.”
“I will not tolerate any wrongdoing in the service. Those accused must be made to answer for their criminal acts. In the meantime, it is best that they are relieved from duty to eliminate any suspicion of whitewash or coddling,” he said.
Gen. Gamboa instructed PRO3 director, Brigadier Gen. Rhodel O. Sermonia, to place the 11 policemen under restrictive custody to ensure their availability to face further investigation and to administratively relieve them from their present positions ef to preclude the possibility of exerting undue influence in the ongoing investigation by the Department of Justice Prosecution Service and the internal investigation by the PNP.
He however explained that the indictment and preliminary investigation proceedings guarantee the right of the respondents to due process.
Journal Group sources said they have information that some of the witnesses against the 11 policemen were ‘coerced’ into testifying against the lawmen who have reported that the six resisted arrest and engaged them in firefights while about to be arrested in anti-drug stings. Sources said that the six previously were linked to illegal drug activities in the city.
The NBI earlier said that the six men who were reported to have been killed in gunbattles with the San Jose del Monte City police anti-narcotics agents last February were abducted by the accused who brought them to their station before killing them separately in purported ‘buy-bust operations’
The NBI claimed that the accused also ‘planted’ drugs and guns at the six local residents who were killed from February 14-18. The NBI said it managed to get photographs of some of the six men while they were inside the San Jose del Monte City police station.