LUCENA CITY — The City government is providing additional isolation rooms outside hospitals to accommodate residents who would be affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Mayor Roderick Alcala announced that they are now preparing the use of a big hotel that can house a big number of city residents in the event they are categorized as patients under investigation (PUIs) and those who would test positive for the deadly virus.
Alcala thanked Puregold owner Lucio Co for allowing the city government to temporarily use for free the Grand Riviera Hotel which has been closed for public use.
The mayor said the 2-storey hotel has 45 bed rooms and other structures would be very much useful in the prevailing crisis.
"The city government will be the one to shoulder the maintenance expenses of the facility use but all the rest are free. That's why we are very much grateful to Mr. Co", said Alcala.
The mayor also announced the continuing distribution of food packs to every household by the city government and barangays.
He also mentioned the continuing flow of donations coming from private and business sectors.
Alcala assured that Lucena is COVID- 19 ready.
As part of the government's campaign to strictly implement the enhanced community quarantine, morethan 200 individuals have already been accosted and jailed by elements of Lucena City police station under Lt. Col. Romulo Albacea for violating enhanced community quarantine.
Albacea has been ordered by Quezon police director Col. Audie Madrideo to arrest on sight any person who has no valid reason to stay outside of his residence.
Citing Article 151 of the Revised Penal Code (RPC),Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said persons violating the measures under the enhanced quarantine could be arrested for resistance and disobedience to a person in authority.
Guevarra said violators could also be charged with “non-cooperation” under Section 9 of Republic Act No. 11332, the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.
Updating on the presence of suspected carriers of the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Quezon, local health officials disclosed that the province so far has three confirmed cases and seventy three (73) patients under investigation (PUIs).
Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Grace Santiago made the announcement her latest statement issued at 8:00 a.m. today.
The local health official did not provide other details.
On Saturday, another suspected carrier of COVID-19, classified as “patient under investigation” from Tayabas City died over severe pneumonia pending the result of the laboratory test.
The cause of death of the first casualty from Sariaya, Quezon was also severe pneumonia but there is no chance to determine if it was COVID- 19 related as the specimen submitted for laboratory test was rejected.