BATAAN- Orani town is now the ‘epicenter’ of the dreaded coronavirus with 12 new cases plus another 8 last week, bringing to 47 the active cases of infected so far by the virus in Bataan province.
And some feared that the number of infected will continue to spike as the Inter Agency Task Force (IATF) downgraded Bataan into Moderate General Community Quarantine which means the IATF eases the restrictions despite spiking the numbers of infected.
In his update report today, Gov Abet S. Garcia, said there are 23 new cases today, bringing the total number of infected to 212 individuals while Bataan has now 10 deaths.
Of the 4,405 tested so far, 4,028 tested negative while 155 have recovered, most of whom are health workers-doctors and nurses.
Overall, the country has now recorded 1,266 deaths of the Covid, an alarming report but the national government continued to downplay it in an apparent tactics to evade blame from the irked public.
In Orani town, meanwhile, Mayor Efren Dominic Pascual Jr. placed Barangay Pacar under lockdown after eight new confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases were recorded in the town Wednesday night.
This does not include the 12 new cases as reported today.
Pascual revealed in a statement that the eight residents tested positive to the disease after having a close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 health worker.
“In view of this, in accordance with the IATF's mandate, our local government will implement a lockdown in Barangay Pacar. This is to further facilitate contact tracing and prevent the spread of the virus in our town,” he said.
The mayor stressed that based from the reports of their municipal health office, the new patients are not COVID-19 severe cases, and they are now being monitored and treated in a hospital.
With this, Pascual is preparing necessary measures for affected residents in the barangay, such as continuous contact tracing procedures and food assistance to every family during the lockdown period.
“We have also assigned police and town marshals for the security of our residents along with the barangay officials under the leadership of Barangay Captain Pepito Dionisio,” he added.
Pascual vowed that they will properly implement lockdown measures and will provide the necessary needs of affected families. About 330 households in the barangay were already provided with food assistance.
The municipal government will base the duration of the lockdown on the results of the swab tests conducted to the rest of the residents who came into contact with the confirmed cases.
Overall, Orani has 23 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 11 recoveries and 1 fatality.