THE PHILIPPINE National Police yesterday said it fully respects the Commission on Human Rights’ stand on the Rodriguez, Rizal anti-narcotics operation last Saturday which left four persons, including a policeman and a 3-year-old girl, dead.
“The PNP respects the statement of the CHR. Indeed, a full dress investigation is in order to determine the circumstances surrounding that fateful encounter that claimed four human lives,” said PNP spokesman Col. Bernard Banac after the CHR, through its spokesperson Jacquline de Guia, condemned the death of young girl Myka Ulpina during the buy-bust operation which turned awry.
“That is precisely the reason why all police operatives who were involved in that operation had been placed on administrative relief to preclude undue influence in the inquiry,” Banac said.
“From day 1 of the national campaign against illegal drugs, government has declared war versus drug syndicates and all those involved in the illegal drug trade. Those who have taken a life of crime must be subject to our laws. While those on the side of the law must observe rigid rules of engagement,” said Banac.
The other day, Police Regional Office 4-A director Brig. General Edward Carranza ordered the administrative relief of the chief of the Rodriguez Municipal Police Station in Rizal and 19 other local policemen as part of their continuing investigation into a deadly buy-bust operation which left one cop, two armed suspects and a 3-year old girl dead.
With John Christopher Balangalan