Quezon police deny foiled extra-judicial killing, insist shootout

November 16, 2018
Roger Herrero
Herrero at the hospital.

LUCENA City -- The Quezon Police Provincial Office (QPPO) once again denied the alleged foiled extra-judicial killing (EJK) reportedly committed by its policemen last November 1.

In a press conference yesterday, QPPO spokesperson Chief Insp. Liza Capistrano maintained their position that the incident was a shootout between suspect Roger Herrero and the responding policemen from Agdangan Police Station.

Herrero, alias Boboy, 27, a pedicab driver and resident of Poblacion 1, Agdangan, who is now confined at the hospital after suffering a bullet wound in the right jaw, earlier claimed that he survived a summary execution perpetrated by four local policemen.

“It was a clear legitimate operation and not an EJK as earlier reported,” said Capistrano in the presence of Insp. Wilson Mansion, commander of Agdangan Police Station.

She said the rumored EJK that snowballed in the mainstream and social media is very unfair on the part of Agdangan police force and the policemen involved in the mess.

“The QPPO under our provincial director, Senior Supt. Osmundo de Guzman, does not tolerate any wrongdoing of its men, if there is any,” Capistrano stressed.

Capistrano led the press conference on behalf of De Guzman who has been on official leave as he is attending a two-week Provincial Directors Qualification Course at Camp Crame, Quezon City.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Quezon where Herrero’s family had filed the complaint against SPO4 Wilson Villegas, SPO3 Noel Malabayabas, SPO2 Bryan Nobo and PO2 Jaymhar Espedido is still digging deeper into the alleged foiled rubout and vowed to be fair in its investigation.

NBI-Quezon provincial head Dominador Villanueva said his office is now in the process of completing documents necessary for the filing of cases against the policemen.

In his statement to the NBI probers, Herrero named PO2 Jaymar Espedido, assigned at Agdangan Police Station, as the one who shot him in the face on the night of November 1 at Bgy. Lakip, in the adjacent town of Atimonan, but the policeman vehemently denied the allegations.

Herrero disclosed that he was accosted and handcuffed by Espedido and three other policemen in Bgy. Silangang Calu-tan, Agdangan, at around 9:30 p.m. aboard a black car and was brought to Bgy. Lakip, near the boundaries of the two towns, at around 11 p.m. where he was eventually shot by the policeman.

But Insp. Wilson Mansion, commander of Agdangan Police Station, said that on the night of November 1, there was a report from a concerned citizen of Bgy. Binagbag regarding a robbery/hold-up incident that just transpired.

Acting on the report, Mansion said the four policemen were immediately dispatched to the area to verify the report.

The responding cops later learned that at around 9:30 p.m., while a certain Rommel Supilinas, 34, who was driving his motorcycle along national road on his way to this city was blocked by Herrero and his companion riding another motorcycle.

At gunpoint, Mansion said the suspects carried out the holdup and fled to the opposite direction.

In a pursuit operation, he said the suspects while standing along the road shoulder, a kilometer away from the crime scene, was spotted by the policemen.

Mansion said one of the suspects opened fire, prompting the lawmen to fire back but the duo suddenly disappeared in the forested area of the village.

He said the policemen later learned that Herrero is confined at Doña Marta District Hospital in Atimonan.

On the next morning, Mansion said the lawmen recovered a cal. .38 revolver with five spent shells and a live bullet in its chamber at the place of incident.

Herrero is now being guarded by the police at the hospital but could not undergo a major operation to remove the bullet on his jaw, due to financial problem.

Herrero’s wife, Shiela Marie, 27, lamanted that her husband has been confined at Quezon Memorial Center (QMC) since November 2 but could not be operated up to now.

She said her husband needs immediate medical attention but it was only last November 9 when the hospital personnel told them that they cannot do it.

“Hindi daw nila kaya pero naka-one week pa bago nila ’yun sinabi sa amin. Halos hindi na makaya ng asawa ko ang sakit na nararamdaman. Anong klaseng hospital ng gobyerno ito?” Shiela Marie told newsmen.

The QMC is under the management of the provincial government of Quezon under Gov. David Suarez.