Quezon's confirmed COVID-19 cases rise to 38, with 6th death incident

April 15, 2020

LUCENA CITY--- The Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) has recorded two more confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, one of them died, local officials said.

​In its bulletin Wednesday, the Quezon Public Information Office (QPIO), headed by Ma. Janet Geneblazo Buelo said the recorded two latest cases came from the towns of Candelaria and Sariaya.

​Buelo said the one in Sariaya ended up dead while being treated in a health facility bringing the number of confirmedCOVID-19 fatalities to 6. ​Apart from the 6, she said there are 16 death incidents among the province’s more than 600 patients under investigation (PUIs).

​As of Sunday (April 12), there are 608 validated PUIs but the list has not been updated as of the moment.

Quoting IPHO chief Dr. Grace Santiago, Buelo said it is due to the ongoing reclassification of all data including those gathered from the start of the pandemic entry in Quezon.

​It can be recalled that the Department of Health (DOH) had announced on Saturday that it will stop using the terms “patients under investigation” and “patients under monitoring” to categorize COVID-19 cases.

Those under watch will soon be called “confirmed,” “suspect” and “probable” cases.

"Because of the memorandum issued by the DOH, the staff members of IPHO have been busy since Monday in reclassifying all data they have previously collected from 39 towns and 2 cities of Quezon and those they are presently collecting. We'll let you know the moment it is done", said Buelo.