‘Sabungero’ cop nabbed in Pangasinan

MEMBERS of the Philippine National Police-Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group (PNP-IMEG) arrested a police officer inside a cockfight arena in Tayug, Pangasinan Saturday evening.

PNP-IMEG Ddrector Colonel Ronald O. Lee identified the “sabungero” cop as Staff Sergeant Sherwin E. Salazar, detailed at the Pangasinan Police Provincial Office.

Two civilians  -- “sentensiyador” Fiddie Rosario and “casador” Florendo Mando --  were also arrested.

Reports reaching Camp Crame stated that the suspects were arrested  around 8:30 p.m. inside  the JBC cockpit arena in the Tayug town.

Lee said members of the Pangasinan Police Provincial Office and the Tayug Municipal Police Station assisted his men during the anti-illegal gambling raid.

“We’re intensifying our monitoring of policemen involved in all forms of illegal activities and assure the public  we will apprehend them as soon as we have enough evidence against them.  

“We must make it clear that General (Archie) Gamboa has a strict zero tolerance policy against police officers who continue to tarnish the good image of the police force,” Lee said.

Lee said undercover IMEG officers confirmed the existence of “tupada” activities every Saturday.

Presidential Decree 499 states that “cockfighting shall be allowed only in  licensed cockpits during Sundays and legal holidays and during local fiestas for not more than three days.

Lee stressed that they are  investigating other policemen who are involved in  illegal gambling operations in Tayug.

Salazar will be facing administrative charges for grave misconduct.

The arrest of Salazar came hours after PNP-IMEG operatives nabbed Captain Wilfredo Dizon Jr., the deputy chief of the Norzagaray Municipal Police Station, who was caught using a detainee as driver of a mobile patrol.

Dizon and 10 other members of the San Rafael police were charged with kidnapping and robbery-in-band before the Department of Justice on June 4, 2018.

However, the case filed against the policemen was dismissed after the complainants withdrew their charges against the accused.