Suicide bombers Pinoys — PNP, AFP

BOTH the Armed Forces and the Philippine National Police believe that last Friday’s twin bombings inside a military camp in Indanan, Sulu was the handiwork of local terrorists, possibly the first time Filipinos carried out a suicide attack.

“Ang alam lang natin, even the Armed Forces of the Philippines, ay alam ang identity ng mga ito and they are not foreign nationals. Yun ang alam natin. Hindi ito mga foreign nationals and as the AFP had already said, sila ay talagang mga suicide bombers,” said PNP chief Director General Oscar D. Albayalde.

AFP Western Mindanao Command spokesman Major Arvin Encinas said that the first bomber detonated his device when three camp guards attempted to search him while the second managed to get past the guards and blew himself up right after the initial blast.

The PNP chief said that if their suspicions were true, it would be the first time that Filipinos were used as “suicide bombers.” As of press time, police and military investigators are still determining the identities of the two men in the suicide bombing.

He also said that they are yet to monitor any real terror threat in Metro Manila in the aftermath of last week’s bombing although they are not lowering their guard and have instituted tough security measures to thwart suicide bombers.

On Friday night, National Capital Region Police Office director Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar placed the entire Metro Manila police force on full alert in the aftermath of the terror attacks that killed four soldiers and two of the suicide bombers and injured 17 others.