TOKYO — Detained auto tycoon Carlos Ghosn believes his arrest and the charges against him are the result of a “plot and treason” at his former employer Nissan, he told the Nikkei newspaper Wednesday.
The Japanese business daily quoted Ghosn as saying he had “no doubt” that the charges against him were motivated by Nissan executives opposed to greater integration of the firm with its French alliance partner Renault.
It was the first press interview Ghosn has given since his stunning arrest on November 19, conducted in the Tokyo detention centre where he has languished ever since.
A Nissan spokesman hit back immediately, saying that current CEO Hiroto Saikawa has “already categorically refuted the notion of a ‘coup d’etat’.”
“The sole cause of this chain of events is the misconduct led by Ghosn and (chief of staff Greg) Kelly,” the spokesman added.
He said a Nissan probe had uncovered “substantial and convincing evidence of misconduct” and that the firm’s focus is “firmly on addressing the weaknesses in governance” that allowed this misconduct to happen.
The 64-year-old Ghosn has been denied bail several times, with the court considering him a flight risk and concerned he could attempt to destroy evidence.
But he again stressed that he “won’t flee. I will defend (myself)”, according to the Nikkei.
“All the evidence is with Nissan and Nissan forbids all employees to talk to me,” he added.
Even his own lawyer has said it is unlikely he will be released before a trial, which could take up to six months to organise given the complexity of the case.
Ghosn faces three separate charges, all of which he denies. He stands accused of under-reporting his income between 2010 and 2015 to the tune of five billion yen ($46 billion) and continuing to do so for a further three years.
He said the payment to this businessman, Khaled Juffali, had been signed by “four officers”.